EMR is one of the world’s leading metal recycling companies with a history spanning decades. At EMR, our employees are the heart and soul of our organization. We are committed to creating a workplace that prioritizes the well-being and safety of everyone. Our company provides a supportive and inclusive community where everyone's ideas and contributions are valued. We believe in teamwork and collaboration.
Our mission is to provide our customers with efficient and reliable metal recycling services while minimizing the environmental impact of our operations. EMR recycles ten million tons of material annually, everything from beverage cans to aircraft carriers. We work with a wide variety of metals including copper, aluminum, brass, and stainless steel and can recycle it into more than 200 different types of new sustainable raw materials.
EMR offers our team a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, retirement plans with company match, wellbeing benefits, employee assistance program and more. Join us and be a part of a team that puts people first!
The HR Manager is directly responsible for the leadership of the human resource activities in the Region. The Manager will implement and oversee HR programs that align with objectives set forth by the Region’s management as well as US and UK/Global HR leadership.
The Manager is expected to acquire a deep understanding of the Region’s strategy, culture, employees, performance, competition, and the metal recycling industry as a whole.
The Manager is expected to effectively manage a dual role of protecting the company's interests and strengthening the employer-employee relationship. The role will require managing and monitoring labor contract administration and negotiation support while balancing duties that support that dual role that's satisfactory to both management and labor.
EMR operates in a fast-paced, highly competitive industry. The Manager must be an independent worker who can balance multiple assignments to meet the needs of the Region while maintaining a consistent focus on employee engagement. The Manager must objectively evaluate the effectiveness of services being provided by HR and be able to make adjustments that optimize value being added to the Region.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
· Oversee recruitment, hiring, disciplinary, and termination process
· Lead new hire onboarding processes
· Provide guidance to managers on appropriate handling of employee matters
· Ensure employee actions conform to employee handbook and applicable laws
· Investigate and evaluate union complaints or arguments to determine validity. Attendance grievance hearings as necessary.
· Interface directly with employees at all levels to answer questions, educate, and resolve issues
· Liaise with legal counsel and management to resolve employee legal matters
· Maintain records in accordance with company, union, government requirements
· Evaluate, recommend, and administer employee training that improves performance
· Stay up to date on legal and industry trends impacting HR and employees
· Align HR efforts with Safety, Health, Environmental and Quality (SHEQ) programs
· Oversee employee engagement efforts, including administering employee surveys
· Work with peers across regions to ensure best practices and uniformity of HR
· Monitor company and workforce adherence to labor agreements. Verify consistent application of the terms of collective bargaining agreements (CBA) by monitoring and confirming day-to-day implementation of policies/practices concerning wages, hours and working conditions.
· Interpret and advise on personnel policies and procedures and resolving employee concerns as they relate to the CBA. Collect evidence for legal proceedings and assess risks to business operations.
· Represent Company in union-related negotiations, grievances, benefits, etc.
· Manage unemployment and COBRA claims
· Oversee administration of employee benefits programs
· Ensure compliance with New Jersey Economic Development Act
Required Skills / Abilities
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Relate well to staff at all levels and improves organizational alignment as a result
· Detail-oriented across multiple tasks and projects in parallel
· Ability to work independently and values hands-on working style
· Strong negotiating and influencing skills
· Excellent planning, organizational, decision-making, and leadership skills
· Ability to complete projects on time and in scope
· History of maintaining professionalism even during challenging circumstances
· Analytical problem solver who acts to improve business based on information
· Persistence and self-belief – demonstrates conviction and ownership for their work
· A team-first approach to work
Education & Experience
· Bachelor’s Degree
· Minimum 7 years of increasingly responsible roles in human resources
· Minimum 5 years of supervisory experience
· Minimum 5 years as an advanced user of payroll software systems
· Advanced knowledge of MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint
· Leadership of multiple successful HR projects
· Preferred Qualifications
· SHRM Certified Professional or SHRM Senior Certified Professional
· Experience with ADP
· Experience working in a matrixed organization
· Experience working in manufacturing, distribution, or heavily industrial organization
· Strong knowledge of local, state, and federal labor laws
· Master's degree in human resource management or related business field.
Other Job Demands
- Job Family US Administration
- Pay Type Salary
- Camden, NJ, USA